I think I’ve mentioned this salad before, but I wanted to be sure I shared it with you. It’s delicious and really quite simple to make. It’s one of my favorites for two reasons: 1. It’s so good. 2. The recipe came from a mentor and friend I love…I think of her every time I make this dish.
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1 bunch spinach
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 whole green onions chopped
- 1 11 oz. can of mandarin oranges, drained
In a small pan over medium heat, cook almonds and sugar, stirring constantly until almonds are coated with dissolved sugar (do not brown).
Spread almonds on wax paper to cool. Store in air-tight container.
Mix all dressing ingredients and chill. Mix spinach, celery and onions. Just before serving, add almonds and oranges. Toss with dressing.
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- dash of pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 tbsp. chopped parsley
- dash of Tabasco
- You can use honey glazed almonds instead. They offer a quick and easy substitution.
- I usually use a package of baby spinach, but you can also used mixed field greens.
- I usually do not chill everything…I never plan ahead far enough….it’s still delicious.
- Don’t drizzle the dressing and add oranges until you’re ready to eat because this salad will get soggy if it sits.