Ever since I first saw these on Bakerella, I’ve been wanting to make them. I mean, they are just so cute, and we love graham crackers around here. They’re my go-to snack for road trips, and they’re perfect for teatime. As suggested by Bakerella, I followed Smitten Kitchen’s recipe, with a few alterations:
- I used 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 1 cup of whole wheat.
- I followed Bakerella’s instructions for cutting the crackers, except…
- when I used cookie cutters. I even used a mini-heart cookie cutter to make graham snacks for lunches and snacks.
A few things I might try next time:
- I might add more honey and not quite as much salt. They weren’t quite as sweet as I thought they should be.
- I might mix some cinnamon into the dough rather than just sprinkling it on the top.
- I might do an egg wash before sprinkling the topping. That might make them a bit more like the graham snacks my kids like best.
- I will make sure that my food processor isn’t leaking all my honey-milk out while I’m trying to mix it in.
About the crackers:
- The skinny wooden skewers were perfect for shaping them. They really did just break apart like the store-bought ones.
- They were better after a couple of days…more cracker-like.
- They are perfect for afternoon tea, especially when they look like this: