God says about me. And, you, too. That’s one of the things I’ve had on my heart to share here on MississippiMom.com as this new year starts. Why? Because I need to be reminded of them. And, somehow, I bet you do, too.
Why? Because there are plenty of things that are ready to tell me lies…from the culture I live in to the voice in my head…but God’s word is THE truth. And, I’ve found the only way to combat the lies I hear on a regular basis is to crowd them out with the truth.
And, while I could make a list in my own little (private) journal, it occurred to me that there might be other moms out there who need to remember the truth about themselves or maybe need to hear it for the first time. So, I thought I’d share.
My goal is to share one thing a week that God says about his children. Some things will be true of all people; others are true of those who follow Christ. Honestly, I don’t yet know what they’ll be…which is exciting because I want to find out. I don’t think it will be hard to find 52 things in God’s word that are true of his children, but I know from experience that it might be difficult to believe them. So, I’m praying that this year, God will help me believe the things he says about me in his word. I once did a Beth Moore Bible study called Believing God, and one of the things that she asked you to repeat over and over again were 5 statements. Now might be a good time to review them:
- God is who is who He says He is.
- God does what He says He can do.
- I am who God says I am.
- I can do all things through Christ.
- God’s word is alive and active in me….
I’m believing God.
The thing is…I want to believe God, but His word says that “faith comes through hearing and hearing through the word of God.” So, to believe it, I have to know it. Hence, this review of “52 Things God Says About You.”
I hope you’ll join me; though in all honesty, I feel like I’m setting myself up for failure by saying “52 things” and “every week,” etc. But that is one of the things that brings me to Thing Number One:
I am free.
Yep. According to God’s word, because I have put my trust in Christ, he has freed me…completely. Don’t take my word for it. Listen:
“So if the Son has set you free, you will be free indeed.” John 8:36
“Grace and peace to you from him who is, and who was, and who is to come, and from the seven spirits before his throne, and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from among the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father–to him be the glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.” Revelation 1:4-6
“Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus, the law of the spirit of life has set me free from the law of sin and death.” Romans 8:1-2
See? FREE. Free from sin…and so much more. Like what? Here are a few things that come to mind today.
- I am free from feeling guilty. Not convicted, guilty. You know that nagging feeling of needing to repent the same harshly spoken word every five minutes for the next five years? It’s a lie because “if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)
- I am free from worry and fear. This one can be hard to live out day by day, but I believe it’s true. Why? Because “we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” (Romans 8:28)
- I am free to serve the Lord. I may feel unworthy, unqualified and unlikely, but he has “has freed us from our sins by his blood and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father.”
- I am free to rejoice. And I should…God’s word says so. “Rejoice in the Lord! I will say it again, ‘Rejoice!'” (Philippians 4:4)
Needless to say, that’s just the tip of the iceberg, but isn’t it wonderful? One other thing does come to mind, and that’s the freedom to stop comparing myself to others or to whatever it is I think is “perfect.” Because only Christ is, and he has covered my shortcomings with grace.
I debated for a while which “thing” to begin with, but this morning I was reminded afresh of the freedom we have in Christ. I wanted to remind you, too. I heard this song on the radio as I drove home from the school run. I thought I’d share it, too.
Lyrics: I am Free by The Newsboys
Through you the blind will see
Through you the mute will sing
Through you the dead will rise
Through you all hearts will praise
Through you the darkness flees
Through you my heart screams
I am free
Yes, I am free
I AM FREE TO RUN
(I AM FREE TO RUN)
I AM FREE TO DANCE
(I AM FREE TO DANCE)
I AM FREE TO LIVE FOR YOU
(I AM FREE TO LIVE FOR YOU)
I AM FREE
(I AM FREE)
YES I AM FREE
(I AM FREE)
Through you the kingdom comes
Through you the battle’s won
Through you I’m not afraid
Through you the price is paid
Through you there’s victory
Because of you my heart sings
I am free
Yes, I am free