Yep. Double Chocolate. You read that right. Would have been “Triple Chocolate Bread Pudding” if I had planned ahead early enough to make a fudge sauce. Next time…Next time.
I wish I could post a post a picture of this successful “experiment,” but two things prevent me from doing so:
1. No photo I could take with my phone would ever do this dish justice. (I have GOT to replace my camera lens.)
2. The group of guys who were at the house watching the big game with my husband devoured most of it before I had a chance to try. (That’s a good sign thought, right? One of them said it was the best dessert he’d ever had.)
So, it’s sweet and simple and here’s what you need:
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- approximately 3/4 loaf white bread, broken into pieces
Here’s what you do:
Preheat oven to 350. Beat the eggs. Add milk and vanilla and beat. Mix cocoa powder and sugar together. Add to egg mixture and mix thoroughly. Add chocolate chips and stir to combine. Place bread in baking dish. Pour mixture over bread. Stir to be sure each piece of bread is soaked and that chocolate chips are evenly distributed. Bake for 45 minutes to one hour.
For Triple Chocolate Bread Pudding, drizzle warm chocolate sauce over pudding before serving.
P.S. This is a batch large enough for a crowd. The recipe should halve easily if you want to make less!