Your kids will love these delicious (and healthy) donuts! You can use a donut maker or bake them in a donut pan.
- Category: breakfast
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or 1/2 cup milk with 2 tsp. of lemon juice or vinegar added
- Whisk together the first 8 ingredients and set aside.
- Whisk eggs and egg whites then add applesauce, brown sugar and buttermilk and mix well.
- Add to flour mixture and mix well.
- Spoon into donut maker and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Optional: Mix about 1/2 cup powdered sugar with a tablespoon of milk to make a glaze. Drizzle over donuts.