This delicious cake is moist and sweet and full of flavor. Your family will love it. I know mine does!
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 stick oleo (I used butter.)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 stick oleo or butter
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup nuts
- First, combine sugar and flour in a large bowl.
- Place butter or margarine, shortening, cocoa and water in a small saucepan. Heat just to boiling and remove from heat. Pour over flour mixture.
- Add buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, soda and cinnamon. Mix well and pour into 16 x 11 pan. (I used a 9 x 13 and just baked the cake longer than Grandma\'s recipe instructed.) The batter will be thin.
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. (I baked the 9 x 13 cake for 30 minutes. Just bake until a toothpick comes out clean.) While the cake is baking, prepare the frosting with the recipe below.
- Pour frosting over the warm cake. Serve warm or wait until the cake cools and the frosting hardens a bit. It\'s delicious either way!
- How to Make Frosting for Grandma\'s Chocolate Sheet Cake
- 5 minutes before cake is done, melt 6 tablespoons milk, 1 stick oleo or butter, 4 tablespoons cocoa, and 1 cup nuts ingredients together and bring only to a boil.
- Remove and add 1 box confectioners sugar (1 lb.) and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Spread over cake while hot. Leave in pan.