This post contains affiliate links to products mentioned. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
This delicious cake is moist and sweet and full of flavor. Your family will love it. I know mine does!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 stick oleo (I used butter.)
- 2 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 stick oleo or butter
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup nuts
- First, combine sugar and flour in a large bowl.
- Place butter or margarine, shortening, cocoa and water in a small saucepan. Heat just to boiling and remove from heat. Pour over flour mixture.
- Add buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, soda and cinnamon. Mix well and pour into 16 x 11 pan. (I used a 9 x 13 and just baked the cake longer than Grandma\'s recipe instructed.) The batter will be thin.
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. (I baked the 9 x 13 cake for 30 minutes. Just bake until a toothpick comes out clean.) While the cake is baking, prepare the frosting with the recipe below.
- Pour frosting over the warm cake. Serve warm or wait until the cake cools and the frosting hardens a bit. It\'s delicious either way!
- How to Make Frosting for Grandma\'s Chocolate Sheet Cake
- 5 minutes before cake is done, melt 6 tablespoons milk, 1 stick oleo or butter, 4 tablespoons cocoa, and 1 cup nuts ingredients together and bring only to a boil.
- Remove and add 1 box confectioners sugar (1 lb.) and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Spread over cake while hot. Leave in pan.
Leave a Reply