Quick, easy and delicious, these Fresh Strawberry Muffins are a tasty way to start your day! They’re perfect for breakfast and brunch or even afternoon tea. Kids loves them, too!
- Serves: 12
- Yield: 12 muffins
- Category: breakfast
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar (I used this sugar because it is not quite so refined as white sugar but not like brown sugar, either. I like hte texture it added.)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or 1/2 cup milk with 1/2 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice)
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees and grease 12 muffin cups. (You can also line your muffin tin with paper baking cups.)
- Combine 3 tablespoons flour, 3 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons butter in a small bowl. Use a fork or whisk or pastry cutter to cut the mixture together until crumbly. Set it aside.
- Now, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Cut in 1/4 cup butter with a large whisk.
- Now, combine your egg and buttermilk (or sour milk) and add to the flour mixture.
- Mix it until it is just combine. It will be lumpy.
- Chop strawberries and add to batter.
- Fold gently and do not over mix.
- Distribute the batter evenly among the muffin cups and add the topping.
- Bake for about 18 minutes.
- Allow the muffins to cool for a few minutes before removing them then cool on a wire wrack.