*This post contains affiliate links.
My son is six. This is his 7th Christmas, and since the second, everything he has every really wanted for Christmas (or birthdays, for that matter) has fallen into one of three categories: Dinosaurs, Cars or Puzzles.
Seriously. My mom always asks, “What does he want?” I say, “Dinosaurs, Cars, or Puzzles.” She says, “I should have known.”
He loves dinosaurs. His room is decorated in dinos. Every other birthday party has been a dino dig. The focus has changed through the years. He’s loved Dinosaur Train, been interested in Jurassic Park, and currently loves Legos. Either way, it’s dinosaurs.
If you’re anything like me and you have a little dino lover, you might be running low on ideas. Or your in-laws are. Here’s some help. Below you’ll find fun gift ideas for your future paleontologist. Many of these we’ve had; others are on his list. Either way, these items will give you a place to start when you ask your nephew, “What do you want for Christmas?” and all he says is, “Dinosaurs.”
I’ve tried to group them into toy types to make it easier for you:
- I’ve already mentioned that my son loves puzzles. This is one he’s had for years and still loves: Melissa & Doug Dinosaurs Jumbo Jigsaw Floor Puzzle (48 pcs, 2 x 3 feet)
- Melissa & Doug Dinosaur World Jumbo Jigsaw Floor Puzzle (200 pcs, over 4 feet long) He doesn’t have this puzzle, but he does have a safari one that is this size and loves it!
- The Learning Journey Puzzle Doubles, Find It! Dinosaurs We have used many products from The Learning Journey, and the kids always enjoy them. We might have to add this to our collection this year!
- BeginAgain Dinosaur A to Z Puzzle Game – Children’s Puzzle and Educational Game in One! – Award-Winning Dinosaur Toy Learning Game When I saw this I was so sad I hadn’t seen it when he was smaller. Of course, he has one little sister who likes dinosaurs almost as much as he does….
- 3D Wooden Dinosaur Puzzle, 6-piece Set Now, I’ll be honest and say that the only time we’ve tried a 3D puzzle, it was a disaster. We just couldn’t make it work. Those pieces were cardboard, and my son was younger so it might be time to give something like this a try.
- Peaceable Kingdom Dinosaur Match Up Memory Game and Floor Puzzle This looks like fun, and my kids have enjoyed other Peaceable Kingdom games in the past so this might be next on our list.
- 100 Piece GLOW IN THE DARK Puzzle A dinosaur puzzle that glows in the dark. Enough said.
- Melissa & Doug Dinosaurs Color-A-Mat Puzzle (6 Pieces) My kids always love puzzles they can color!
- The Learning Journey Puzzle Doubles, Glow In The Dark, Dinos
- Melissa & Doug Dinosaur Chunky Puzzle for little dino lovers!
- National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Dinosaurs
- My Big Dinosaur Book
- Encyclopedia Prehistorica Dinosaurs : The Definitive Pop-Up I love pop-up books, and nobody does them better than Robert Sabuda!
- The Berenstain Bears’ Dinosaur Dig The Berenstain Bears have always been special to me (I used to buy one of these books every time my family went to Square Books in Oxford), and I love that this is a Berenstain Bear book my son will love, too.
- National Geographic Kids Ultimate Dinopedia: The Most Complete Dinosaur Reference Ever This is exactly the kind of book my son always brings home from the library. Maybe he needs this one for his personal library this year?
- Oh Say Can You Say Di-no-saur?: All About Dinosaurs This is one of my son’s favorite books. It is whimsical but also full of facts.
- Dinosaurs – The Grand Tour: Everything Worth Knowing About Dinosaurs from Aardonyx to Zuniceratops I think he would also like this; he loves to look through large volumes about dinosaurs.
- How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight? Jane Yolen writes some wonderful children’s books, and this is one!
- Jurassic World Dinosaur Field Guide Our dino boy is really into Jurassic World, which explains some of the Lego sets you’ll see below.
- Have You Seen My Dinosaur? This is another one of our favorites for young kids.
- Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, No. 1) The first book in this very popular series was about dinosaurs. I’m thinking that’s not a coincidence.
- Dinosaurs: A Nonfiction Companion to Magic Tree House 1: Dinosaurs Before Dark A little background to go with the above book.
- Attack of the Tyrannosaurus (Dinosaur Cove, No. 1) There’s an entire series set in Dinosaur Cove, and as he begins really reading chapter books, I think we’ll be reading a lot of them.
- Dinosaur Train: Triceratops for Lunch (Little Golden Book) For younger dinosaur enthusiasts, you really can’t beat Dinosaur Train. (The theme song of the show is really catchy so be prepared to sing it. A lot.)
- Dino Safari (LEGO Nonfiction) If your kids love legos AND dinosaurs, here’s a book they might enjoy.
- Jurassic Park: A Novel For older dinosaur lovers on your Christmas list….
Things to Make & Do
- Melissa & Doug Wooden Stamp Set My son has enjoyed his dinosaur stamp set. (FYI: His sister loved her horse one, too!)
- Smithsonian Diggin’ Up Dinosaurs T-Rex The chance to do a little excavation? Count our boy in! He enjoyed digging the dinosaur out then putting the pieces together.
Legos & Building Sets
This is just a sampling because I JUST HAD TO STOP. Everything I pulled up was “Awesome! So cool!” And absolutely on his Christmas list. Yep, we’ve hit the Lego stage. I no longer walk around barefoot.
- Laser Pegs National Geographic Dinosaurs Building Kit He received something similar to this from his grandparents one year and loved it. (My dad does not pay much heed to suggested ages so it was definitely something he worked with his dad on. Loved it more that way, too!)
- LEGO Jurassic World Dinosaur – Dino Dilophosaurus Raptor (75916) He would take any every Lego dino figure. I can’t tell you the times I’ve heard, “I don’t have that one, Mom!”
- Dino Meal — The Steal the Eggs Before the Dinosaur Lunges Game I came across this, and it looks really fun. We love games that are not electronic because we can all play together so Santa might just have to hear about this.
- Peaceable Kingdom Dinosaur Escape Award Winning Cooperative Game for Kids We have a similar game about ogres from Peaceable Kingdom, and the kids like it a lot. I think they’d enjoy this, too.
- Dinosaur Bingo Game This is a game my kids play over and over, and even our youngest two have learned many scientific names for dinosaurs just by playing the game.
Toys & Action Figures
- Melissa & Doug Giant T-Rex Dinosaur – Lifelike Stuffed Animal (over 2 feet tall) How cute is this creature?
- Schleich Tyrannosaurus Rex Every time we go into Tractor Supply or any other store that has them, my son wants to come home with a new dinosaur. He’s got quite a collection and loves every single one.
- Smithsonian RC T.Rex Radio Controlled Animated Action Dinosaur A remote-controlled T-Rex? I can’t even imagine what he’d say.
- Fisher-Price Imaginext Ultra T-Rex – Ice He has an older version of this, but he still added this one to his list this year. That should tell you something.
MOVIES & TV SHOWS
- Dinosaur Train Pteranodon Family Adventures There are many different choices from Dinosaur Train. My kids love this show!
- Dino Dan: Tyrannosaurus Trek My kids also enjoy the Dino Dan series. There are various titles to choose from, and so far, they’ve enjoyed them all.
- Jurassic Park Collection I can remember seeing Jurassic Park for the first time. It was terrifying and terrific. If you’re kids are old enough (or your husband thinks they are), introduce them to the classics.
- Jurassic World Genetic engineering for a new generation.
Clothing & Costumes
- Dinosaur Pajamas Seriously, you can’t ever have enough.
And FINALLY…Something every dino-digging dude NEEDS….
What have I missed? What’s your favorite dinosaur gift?