We watched this movie for the first time last week, and let me just say: we loved it! It’s cute, creative and clean. It’s also very well made. We especially loved the way Ramona’s imagination was worked into the film…so fun!
When I say “we” loved it…I mean we all did. My husband. My daughter. Myself. My sisters. It was fun for everyone.
Here are a few of my favorite things about this film:
- It’s so colorful. And, when I say that, I’m not meaning “Finding Nemo” full of color. I mean, it’s just creative, and the characters are, too. I loved Ramona’s imagination, and the way it was brought to life in the film. I also loved her red rain boots.
- It’s a great film about a family….that loves each other. You definitely get the fact that not only do the Quimbys (?) love each other…they actually like one another, too! It’s so great to see a strong family portrayed in a film. And, don’t think they’re getting along because they have easy lives. The crisis in the film is the fact that the father is out of work, which naturally puts stress on everyone.
- I love the way the sisters’ relationship was portrayed. You’re given a glimpse into life as the oldest and as the middle child, and I think it’s a pretty honest glimpse, too. I could hear some of my sisters (and myself…I am a middle child after all) saying some of the very same things that Beezus and Ramona say in the film…and loving each other anyway.
- One of the most refreshing aspects of this film is the fact that the adults in it were shown respect. I’m not kidding. It almost shocked me, but the kids did not speak with sass, roll their eyes or condescend to adults. If you ever watch kids’ television, you know how rare this is. The only time Ramona openly criticizes an adult (her teacher), her parents reprimand her…and the film shows the teacher as someone she learns to trust and respect in the end. Loved it!
- The film was just….funny. From Ramona’s decision to “say a bad word” to Ramona’s perfect school picture, we were laughing.
Overall, this was a great movie to watch together as a family….if you haven’t seen it, check it out! Or come to our house…I’m sure we’ll watch it again.Disclosure: The only compensation I received for watching this film was the fun of it, and the only compensation I’ll receive for sharing it with you is the hope that you’ll enjoy it, too!